The perfect chili for a cold day!
I actually wasn’t sure about yams in a chili because it seemed like it would be too sweet! However, I used to eat corn bread back in the day paired with a bowl, so maybe this would be alright – turns out, it is AMAZING! So good that I HAVE to share!
(This recipe is doubled and will fill the crockpot)
Total time: about 3 hours on high
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3 stalks diced celery
- 2 cup diced carrots
- 4 medium yams, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes with basil, undrained
- 1 cups organic vegetable broth
- 4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped green onions for garnishing
- Add beans, broth, tomatoes, spices to crock pot and turn on high.
- Dice sweet potato and yams into small squares and steam in pot with 1/2″ water at bottom, covered, until soft, then drain and dump in crockpot.
- Heat avocado oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and bell pepper, sauté for 3-5 minutes, then add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds-1 min then pour in crockpot.
- Add water to saucepan and add in celery and carrots covered, steam until soft then throw in crockpot.
- Stir mixture, cover with lid and cook on low heat for about 3 hours.
- Top with green onions (greek yogurt and mozzarella if you do dairy) and enjoy!